Thursday, 6 August 2026

An Ode To Juliet: Ranking All Versions of Juliet ~Kimi wo Suki na 100 no Riyuu~ (So Far)

Even if 15 years have passed, there are more than a hundred reasons to fall in love with this song...


When it comes to a song that defines Houkago Princesses legacy, the only track that comes to mind has to be Juliet ~Kimi wo Suki na 100 no Riyuu~.

Performed since the groups debut, Juliet ~Kimi wo Suki na 100 no Riyuu~ is a song that has become synonymous not only with the group, but the underground idol scene as a whole. For many this is a sacred song, one that paints a picture of the perfect orthodox idol sound, and it is a song that has continued to define Houkago Princess and their journey for entirety of their 15 year story.

It is their anthem, so much so that there are currently right versions of the song in existence. From the beginning until now, each version of Juliet ~Kimi wo Suki na 100 no Riyuu~ that has been recorded defines a key moment in the groups history, from line-up changes to milestones and turning points throughout their journey.

From 2011 until now, it's time to look back at every version of Juliet ~Kimi wo Suki na 100 no Riyuu~ as we celebrate Houkago Princesses anniversary! There are 100 reasons to love this song in all forms, but which version will be crowned the reigning champion?

It's time to fall into Juliet's world and find out!

༻ 8 ༺


Juliet ~Kimi wo Suki na 100 no Riyuu~ (2013 ver.)
(From Juliet ~Kimi wo Suki na 100 no Riyuu~ (2013 ver.), Track 01)

Released just a year after the original, Juliet ~Kimi wo Suki na 100 no Riyuu~ (2013 ver.) was the last single to be produced by the groups creator, Naoki. It was the first single to include different types for its CD release and, in a way, it can be seen as HouPri's departure from their debut era.

When it came to my decision to create this list, placing this version of Juliet ~Kimi wo Suki na 100 no Riyuu~ last was a fairly easy choice. This is mostly because I hardly listen to this specific variation of the song, plus there isn't much difference to this one or the original. However, I do think that the 2013 version sounds much smoother than the original does, especially when it comes to the vocals. They sound more refined here, and I do love how textured their voices sound thanks to the addition of newer members.

It is a very pretty song, plus it gave us new costumes for Juliet ~Kimi wo Suki na 100 no Riyuu~. Are they the best costumes? No, but what I do like about them is that they are fluffy and cute, and they stand out against the original costumes for this song. Sure, they are not my favourite, but I do like them a lot!

༻ 7 ༺
  Juliet ~Kimi wo Suki na 100 no Riyuu~ (2017 ver.)
(From Abraktab Luv!, Track 03, Regular Edition)
 
Marking Houkago Princesses return to being an underground idol group, Juliet ~Kimi wo Suki na 100 no Riyuu~ (2017 ver.) is quite possibly the softest, sweetest version of this song yet. It's such an intriguing version in my opinion, one that took me by surprise when I first heard it.

Even Maika, who typically dominates a song with her powerhouse vocals, has toned herself down for this version of the song. It's simply incredible just how soft this version sounds for me, especially when I am so used to listening to the original and other versions at their full power. That doesn't mean this version of Juliet ~Kimi wo Suki na 100 no Riyuu~ is bad, though, because it isn't; it's just incredibly surprising to hear how gentle it can be.

Of all the Juliet's, the 2017 version is the one I would consider the most elegant, princess-like version of this song, one that is quite unique when you pair it against the other Juliet's it has come after and before. At one point, I may have put this higher, however after listening back to all of the Juliet's in order, I have simply come to realise that I hardly listen to this version, and that Juliet ~Kimi wo Suki na 100 no Riyuu~ (2017 ver.) is pretty, and it's definitely nice to listen to, but it simply isn't my favourite.

༻ 6 ༺

Juliet ~Kimi wo Suki na 100 no Riyuu~ (2020 ver.)
(From My Princess II, Track 11)

Released during Sasara's reign as HouPri's second leader, this is the first version of Juliet ~Kimi wo Suki na 100 no Riyuu~ to not include Odagiri Nana or a first generation member of the group. With this change, you can hear a very clear vocal shift in the song which ultimately allows this version of Juliet to feel both fresh and nostalgic.

With Maika and Sasara at the helm, this version of Juliet ~Kimi wo Suki na 100 no Riyuu~ sounds far richer and full, and there is a maturity to the song that we have not heard in previous versions. Of course, Tani Nobara's sweet vocals help to balance it out, though that maturity still feels rather present, in my opinion.

Of all the versions of Juliet ~Kimi wo Suki na 100 no Riyuu~ that have been made, this is the one I have probably listened to the least, despite how much it has impressed me. I really do need to listen to it more because honestly speaking, the vocals are some of the best I have heard, and this is probably the fullest the song has felt in a long time.

It is another refreshing take on Juliet ~Kimi wo Suki na 100 no Riyuu~, and that's all thanks to the incredible vocals skills of the members present for this version. I just wish I had listened to it more prior to making this list, because it would have been placed a lot higher.

༻ 5 ༺

Juliet ~Kimi wo Suki na 100 no Riyuu~ (2015 ver.)
(From Seifuku Cinderella, Track 06)

In celebration of Houkago Princesses major debut, Juliet ~Kimi wo Suki na 100 no Riyuu~ (2015 ver.) aimed to create a new image and feeling with a revitalised take on their classic song. With even more sparkling effects and an instrumental that feels both elegant and energetic, the 2015 version of HouPri's iconic song feels like a breath of fresh air against the three versions that came before it.

Though it may not be my favourite of them all, there is no denying that Juliet ~Kimi wo Suki na 100 no Riyuu~ (2015 ver.) is catchy. The song itself feels bolder and more present, the chorus sounds full and the instrumental is undoubtedly magical from beginning to end. It is the perfect companion to Seifuku Cinderella, and the song itself makes me feel like I am witnessing a fairy tale come true for Houkago Princess.

I think the only thing I can complain about this song is the opening; the 'hey's' that open Juliet ~Kimi wo Suki na 100 no Riyuu~ (2015 ver.) feel much weaker than before, flimsy, even, and it takes me out of the song a little. Aside from that, I love how enchanting and fantastical this version of the song is. It's adorable, unique and new, yet it honours both the original song and Houkago Princesses legacy.

And if I have taken anything away from this, it is that I honestly do not sit down and appreciate this version enough, and that I only wish for HouPri to perform it more in the future, because this version of Juliet ~Kimi wo Suki na 100 no Riyuu~ deserves to be heard.

༻ 4 ༺


Juliet ~Kimi wo Suki na 100 no Riyuu~ (2022 ver.)
(From My Princess III ~Mirai no Kane wo Narase~, Track 07)

Introducing an entirely new line-up, Juliet ~Kimi wo Suki na 100 no Riyuu~ (2022 ver.) sees the debut of a new generation for Houkago Princess, and what better way to introduce them than with their own version of this iconic song.

As I sit here and listen to this track, I cannot help but fall in love with this version of Juliet all over again. The instrumental itself feels familiar and nostalgic, however it is the renewed sense of energy that this track exudes that makes me love it so much. There is also a very clear sound of joy coming from the members as they sing, a happiness that is present thanks to their desire to become idols and finally making that wish come true. It is addictive and wonderful, and it makes me so incredibly happy whenever I hear Juliet ~Kimi wo Suki na 100 no Riyuu~ (2022 ver.) play for the first time in a while.

Even if the line-up has changed, the happiness this song brings remains. I love that this line-up could both honour the legacy of Juliet ~Kimi wo Suki na 100 no Riyuu~ while still making it their own in a way. They all sound incredible, the chorus is full and lively despite only five members singing the song, and the joy this song brings me is immeasurable.

It may not be a unique take on this classic song, however it is a version that I love deeply and have cried over countless times. The 2022 line-up for Houkago Princess created such a sparkling, energetic version that continues to delight me, and I will continue to listen to its brilliance long after this post has finished. It is amazing and I love it so, so much.

3

Juliet ~Kimi wo Suki na 100 no Riyuu~ (10th Anniversary Special Edition) (2021)
(From ~10th ANNIVERSARY~ Princess Assemble, Track 02)

There is no denying that the 10th Anniversary Special Edition of Juliet ~Kimi wo Suki na 100 no Riyuu~ is precious, because it is just that and so much more. A milestone release for the group, this version of the groups iconic song brings together the then-current line-up and the older generation of members together for an emotional, memorable release that feels so full and vibrant. It's a release that continues to make me cry when I hear it, and one that shows the power of Houkago Princesses legacy when the members past and present all come together to celebrate the groups milestones together.

Of all the Juliet's, this is perhaps the most impactful one for many who have heard it, myself included. I mean, hearing Sakipyon's (Chiba Sakino) voice in a HouPri song once again was such an impactful moment for me as a fan, and it is a moment that I will continue to treasure whenever I re-listen to the song. Honestly, hearing all of the members' voices during group moments was emotional for me as a fan, and I love how joyous and beautiful this song feels thanks to all of their voices merging together for this pivotal moment in the groups history.

It is a beautiful rendition of Juliet ~Kimi wo Suki na 100 no Riyuu~, one that I love and listen to regularly, however it is not my favourite version of Juliet. I know; a few of you may disagree with me for this decision, which is fine, but I have emotional ties to others that cannot be ignored. Still, this is such a wonderful version, one that truly showcases Houkago Princesses legacy and the love each and every member has poured into this group, and I truly adore that.

I love Juliet ~Kimi wo Suki na 100 no Riyuu~ (10th Anniversary Special Edition), and I will continue to love it for years to come. My only wish is that we had received a music video for it, even if it only showed recording sessions and old clips such as rehearsals, concert footage, off-shot clips and even promotion announcements. If we had gotten something like that, I do think I may have had even more of an emotional tie to this version of the song than I currently do. Regardless, this is a pretty incredible version of Juliet ~Kimi wo Suki na 100 no Riyuu~.

༻ 2 ༺

Juliet ~Kimi wo Suki na 100 no Riyuu~ (2014 ver.)
(From Juliet ~Kimi wo Suki na 100 no Riyuu~ (2014 ver.), Track 1) (Limited release)

Of all the versions of Juliet ~Kimi wo Suki na 100 no Riyuu~, I think that this is the version that I have listened to the most. This is mostly due to the fact that, despite owning the CD's for all versions of this song, I would always return to the music video on YouTube and constantly loop it, both to look at my favourite member, Ayase Miho and because this version is just so good.

And yes, the reason why it is so good is all thanks to Maika joining the group around this time.

Now, I love all versions of Juliet ~Kimi wo Suki na 100 no Riyuu~, regardless of when they were released, however this is the version that stood out to me for a long time because of Maika. I mean, she is the entire reason why this song started to sound so rich. The quality of her voice and the depth she provides is second to none and while the two previous versions of Juliet certainly held depth, they did not hold it to this degree. Before, Juliet ~Kimi wo Suki na 100 no Riyuu~ had been cutesy and sweet, an adorable song that defined Houkago Princesses image. Yet when this version appeared in 2014, we were introduced what felt like a more mature, renewed HouPri despite the instrumental being the same. It was refreshing and unlike the two Juliet's before it, and I was honestly hooked.

I was mesmerised by Maika's voice, by how it could change this song even if the song had not actually changed. So, it's no wonder I fell in love with this song all over again, even when it had already been remade twice before this. With different voices and new members, I realised that a whole new feeling can be created through a song I had heard before.

For many, I believe that this will be the most recognisable version of Juliet ~Kimi wo Suki na 100 no Riyuu~ thanks to Maika's voice. That, and it is the very first music video that comes up on YouTube when you search the song name or the group. For me as a fan however, this was a turning point for the group. This was the version of Juliet ~Kimi wo Suki na 100 no Riyuu~ that transformed my beloved, cute Houkago Princess into a group that could show both their cute and mature sides, and it was a Houkago Princess I was so excited to see.

I love Juliet ~Kimi wo Suki na 100 no Riyuu~ (2014 ver.) so much, and I am so thankful that it is this version of this incredible song that many of you have possibly fallen in love with, too.


If I could be Romeo
Then you would be my Juliet~

𓆩:*¨༺✧ 1 ✧༻¨*:𓆪
The Ultimate Juliet

Juliet ~Kimi wo Suki na 100 no Riyuu~
(From Juliet ~Kimi wo Suki na 100 no Riyuu, Track 01)

When it comes to the original, I don't think that any other version can beat it.

Perhaps some of you will think I am wrong for choosing this version to be first, and perhaps you are right, but as a long-time fan of the group I honestly don't think that the original can be beat. Yes, I love the 2014 version of Juliet ~Kimi wo Suki na 100 no Riyuu~ a lot and how it showcased Maika's vocals, but when it comes to this song, pure nostalgia wins every time.

There is something so pure and joyful about this release, an energy that is unmatched against the line-up that recorded and performed this first version of the song. It's something that can't be replicated in future versions, I think; that freshness, the sheer cuteness of it all. When Juliet ~Kimi wo Suki na 100 no Riyuu~ was first released, I don't think that anyone expected this song to become such a defining moment for the group, or for it to become so widespread and beloved within the idol scene as a a whole.

Juliet ~Kimi wo Suki na 100 no Riyuu~ is beautiful in all forms, yet the pure nostalgia the original brings me is unmatched. No matter what, it makes me cry from the memories of watching the music video for the first time or listening to the single in its entirety as a fan eager for any crumbs I could get from the group. It's a song that helped to propel my love for Houkago Princess and now, nearly 15 years on, it is this same song that continues to define the group and its legacy.

Past and present, I continue to love Juliet ~Kimi wo Suki na 100 no Riyuu~ in all form. When it comes to the #1 spot however, nothing can ever beat the original, at least not in my heart.


It has been nearly 15 years since the original release of Juliet ~Kimi wo Suki na 100 no Riyuu~, and as of writing this post, it has been four years since the last instalment of Juliet ~Kimi wo Suki na 100 no Riyuu~, making it the longest period of time between re-recorded versions of this wonderful song.

Still, I will happily wait for a new version to celebrate the group, despite being so impatient for it. Until then, I will continue to enjoy all eight versions of the song I have here, because this is the song that continues to define Houkago Princess well into their 15th year.

Regardless of which version you enjoy most, there is no denying that Juliet ~Kimi wo Suki na 100 no Riyuu~ is a wonderful song that has captivated and charmed many fans over the years, myself included. I just hope that you have also fallen in love with it today as well, my dear readers.

Until next time, everyone. Please take care, stay healthy and safe and enjoy the music.

Much love and happiness,
Kelly~

No comments:

Post a Comment