Saturday, 8 August 2026

The Fairest of Them All: Houkago Princess ~The Top 15 Princess Songs~ (According to Kelly)

Once upon a time, approximately 15 years ago, there was a group of Idols who longed to transform into princesses...

In August of 2015, Houkago Princess debuted their current concept, 'School girls who transform into Princesses after 4pm'. With this image, the group would perform in their school uniform during the day, but once 4pm hit, they would transform into sparkling gowns and trade their headbands for tiaras.

With this image change came new songs, most of which have been themed around a variety of Princesses we know and love in our favourite fairy tales, film and history. It is this very concept that has become synonymous with Houkago Princesses image over the years (and one of many reasons as to why I love the group so much).

Now, after 11 years since Houkago Princess introduced their schoolgirl-to-Princess concept, the group have around 18 princess themed songs in their roster. This includes both A-side and B-side tracks, as well as album-exclusive songs and original Princess themed tracks.

So, to celebrate my beloved Houkago Princesses 15th Anniversary, I have compiled a list of my Top 15 favourite Princess themed songs for you all to enjoy! Now, this is by no means a definitive list—it is simply my opinion, and mine alone. I only wish to share these songs (and my thoughts) with you all, as well as to define for myself which of these Princess songs are my distinct favourite. You do not have to agree with me, nor do you need to even like this list; it has simply been created for my own enjoyment, as well as to once again celebrate my love for Houkago Princess as they surge towards their 15th year as a group.

And with that out of the way, it's time to figure out which of these nineteen songs have found their way into the throne room and which one has been crowned the Fairest Song of Them All.

Are you ready?

Let's start!

15

Abrakatab Luv!
(December 20th, 2017)

This song was originally going to be one of three tracks that never made it into the final list. In fact, I was so confident it wouldn't make it, I never even considered putting it in here. However, after re-listening to all of the Princess songs that HouPri have released in the past 11 years, I realised that, while it may not be my favourite Princess song out there, Abrakatab Luv! has one factor that allows it to stand out against the four that didn't make it: this song is so. Freaking. FUN!

Like many of HouPri's songs in their extensive discography, Abrakatab Luv! is a song that does not fail to make me sing and dance along to it. It has this distinct, flirtatious sound that is both sultry and fun during the chorus, all while still capturing that energetic and youthful element in the verse. It's a really entertaining song with a lot of vocal texture, and you can hear how much the members enjoyed recording this track.

Abrakatab Luv! may have been on the chopping block initially, but re-listening to it has allowed me to understand just how joyful and entertaining it is. It's a track that truly reflects the playful side of Houkago Princess, while also infusing a shot of maturity that we have previously seen in other tracks from their Princess-themed songs. It's a delight, and I am so glad I came to my senses and added it to this list.

14


Shin Jidai Princess
(July 10th, 2019)

When it comes to Shin Jidai Princess, I cannot help but think about how I do not talk about it enough, because it is such an important song that helped to begin Houkago Princesses new era. With lyrics made up of the groups previous song titles and lyrics, this is a song that honours the groups history and celebrates a new line-up as they step away from the Heisei era and walk towards the Reiwa era.

Admittedly, while I do love this song, I do not listen to it a great deal because there are other princess songs I happen to prefer over it. With that said, Shin Jidai Princess is beautiful. It's also fun and energetic, the vocals are absolutely incredible thanks to Maika, Sasara and Nobara, and the history that seeps through the lyrics feels nothing short of emotional. I remember when I first heard the song, I was overwhelmed by hearing the lyrics from the groups previous tracks and could not help but consider what a wonderful nod this was to the groups past and Nana's leadership before she graduated.

Shin Jidai Princess is a brilliant song, there is no doubt about that. It is brimming with the power of the groups legacy and hope over entering a new era, and whenever I hear it play, I feel nothing but pride and joy at knowing how far HouPri came during the Heisei era and how far they would go during the Reiwa period of their reign.

13

Kaguya ni Negai wo
(October 10th, 2018)

This songs position in the list has come as a bigger surprise to me than you guys, I promise you that. I mean, I love Kaguya ni Negai wo. It's a beautiful song, one with a wonderful composition and a brilliant music video to go with it, and it is also the most perfect send-off for Nana, Miran and Saori, three legacy members who saw the group through both its original and princess era. However, this is a song that I do not listen to a great deal, and I acknowledge that.

Still, this is an incredible track. I absolutely love the texture throughout the instrumental and how beautiful it sounds. The meaning of the song is absolutely beautiful, with the story of Kaguya reflecting the reality of the members; much like Kaguya returns to the moon from Earth, Nana, Miran and Saori would return to their everyday lives away from the stage they grew up on. It's such a poignant song, one that I hold so much respect for as a fan. It was truly the perfect send-off for these three members, and I love it so much.

Kaguya ni Negai wo is wonderful and meaningful and bittersweet. It's such a fantastic song, one that I want to hear live at least once. However, it's also a track I do not reach for as much against others, hence why it is ranking so low. Still, it is beautiful and distinct and I cannot help but admire the sheer brilliance of its sound and the meaning behind its lyrics.

12

Sayonara Dualina
(July 1st, 2017)

I will probably be flogged for ranking this song so low, but truth be told, I do not listen to Sayonara Dualina that much. Yes, it's a good song—one of Houkago Princesses best, in fact—but it's also a song that does not appeal to me as much as others do. That's simply how it is and, given the fact this list is based on how I personally feel towards a song, this is why it has ranked so low compared to others.

Still, I want to acknowledge how good it is, hence why it isn't last. This is an incredibly mature, difficult song the group put out, a track that truly shows off just how majestic Maika's voice is. She's a powerhouse here, hitting notes that are some of the highest I have heard her hit in any song prior to this one. That's why we don't hear Sayonara Dualina performed a lot; it's such a hard song to sing, and while I love what Maika gave us here, it has made it almost impossible for future generations of Houkago Princess to sing this track during live performances. Still, it's a really good song and every now and again, I do like to indulge in this powerful track.

In any other list, I am almost certain that other people would place this track first or second, at the very least. For me however, I hold no real emotion towards this song; I simply have a lot of respect for how it showcased Maika's vocal talents, as well as giving us another dark, mature track from the group. It's amazing, however, it is simply not my favourite and I won't apologise for that.

11

Junpaku Antoinette
(February 17th, 2016)

Once upon a time, I might have said that Junpaku Antoinette was my #2 pick. Heck, there was even a time where it was my #1 Princess song, however, as more Princess songs are added and time moves forward, my tastes and emotions towards the songs have changed for one reason or another. So, while I still hold great sentiment towards this song—It was Mihotan's graduation single, after all—I must also acknowledge that other songs hold higher esteem in my heart.

So, it is with both a great deal of surprise and a heavy-ish heart that I put Junpaku Antoinette so damn low on this list. And yet, it has surprised me just how low it's gone in my ranks.

There is no denying that Junpaku Antoinette is one of my favourites. It's a beautiful, elegant song with a romantic edge that allows the listener to fall in love with Houkago Princesses dazzling world. However, it's also a song I don't reach for as much and, re-listening to it, I realise I hold more emotion for other tracks within the groups discography these days. Yes, it is a very pretty track, one that I wish the group would perform a little more, though I am more than happy that the song itself has become synonymous with Valentine's Day for the group.

It is a beautiful track with an even prettier music video, and while the theme itself may be a little questionable (such as romanticising Marie Antoinette and her lavish lifestyle), it is still a song I enjoy a great deal when I hear it. However, as the sadness of Mihotan's graduation at the time of its release eased in the years gone by, perhaps the great love I once held for Junpaku Antoinette eased up, too. That does not mean I like it any less, of course; it simply means I made room for other songs to grow on me instead in the ten years since its release.

10

Madobe no Rapunzel
(December 11th, 2024)

The most recent Princess-themed song of them all, Madobe no Rapunzel is a beautiful, sparkling track that follows one of my favourite princesses, Rapunzel. With lyrics that look into Rapunzel's hopes, dreams and desires prior to her leaving the tower, this is a song that perfectly captures the current line-up's own hopes for the group, while also delivering a bright and youthful performance that fits the members' vocal styles perfectly.

I love this song. I was lucky enough to see it debut when I visited Japan back in 2024, and it's a track that I have since listened to a lot since then. It's a beautiful track that, while not my absolute favourite, is one I enjoy a great deal, despite how new it is against the others in this list. Still, my love for Madobe no Rapunzel is strong, or at least strong enough to beat out some heavy-hitter tracks, and I can only see it growing on me the older it gets. Right now, though, it needs to marinate a little more before it goes any higher in my rankings.

This is such a sweet song, one that is catchy and uplifting, and perfectly captures that youthful, bright feel Houkago Princesses current line-up has. It's a song that feels both fresh and nostalgic thanks to its sound, and I often reminisce on HouPri's early indie days whenever I listen to it. Madobe no Rapunzel is fun and cheerful and colourful, and it does a wonderful job of celebrating the groups current line-up, while also honouring the group that they were before. I love Madobe no Rapunzel and, no matter how high or low it may appear on this list, it's a song that I will continue to love for what I hope is a long, long time.

9

Kiete, Shirayukihime
(October 28th, 2015)

Surprisingly enough, I never expected Kiete, Shirayukihime to be this high. In fact, I thought it would be last on my list due to how little I listen to the song compared to others. However, after re-listening to HouPri's Princess-themed songs on repeat, I came to realise that, while I may not consider Kiete, Shirayukihime to be my favourite Princess track of all time, it is a song that brings a me a great amount of joy and anticipation when it begins to play.

So, even if it isn't #1 in my heart, there's clearly a lot of love and nostalgia there for it, otherwise it would not have climbed as high on the list as I expected it to.

Personally speaking here, I think that of all their Princess songs, Kiete, Shirayukihime is one of the groups strongest tracks out there, as well as their most unique. In sound, this is incredibly catchy and mature and, most importantly, memorable. It is also the only track where the lyrics have been written from the perspective of the Evil Queen as opposed to Snow White. I genuinely consider this to be one of HouPri's best tracks, especially when I want to introduce people to the group. It's an edgy and enticing track that allows us to see the group in a new light, and for that I have great respect for Kiete, Shirayukihime as a song.

There is a reason why Kiete, Shirayukihime is performed a lot. It is dark yet enigmatic, and it does not shy away from being so different in sound and style compared to all of the other Princess-themed ones. I love that this song allowed Houkago Princess to portray themselves in a much more mature manner, especially when you consider how delicate and sweet their image can seem at times. However, I do acknowledge that this is a song I do not seek out as much as others. It is good and I do like it, and I am thankful that Kiete, Shirayukihime exists. However, it is a long way off from being my absolute favourite, but I do think that this is an amazing song, one that proves just how varied and interesting HouPri's sound can be.

8

Aurora Dreaming
(August 17th, 2022)

The first song to introduce an entirely new line-up after the graduation of the previous line-up, Aurora Dreaming captures the hopes and desires of a new generation of idols who have been waiting for their Idol journey to begin. It takes us into the world of a girl who wants nothing more than to break away from her everyday life and become a part of a world she has always admired, and to make her dreams come true as she chases towards the future she had always envisioned for herself.

To say that I adore Aurora Dreaming is an understatement. It's a magical, important song in the groups history, acting as a reflection of the members' hard work in making their idol debut. That, and it marks the beginning of a new era for the group, one that feels fresh and uncertain, yet still hopeful for a brilliant future. It's a song that marks the beginning of the Houkago Princess that stands before us today and paints a beautiful image of their shared dream: a desire to enter a world they have long admired, and a future that they are now running towards together. It is incredibly sentimental, especially when you read the lyrics and realise that their dreams have come true with this song. Now, even four years one, this song continues to have a strong impact on me emotionally, and I can continue to see it growing in my love for it years after.

This is a beautiful song, one that is full of hope and desire. It's a track that makes me think of the hardships Yuu and Ami went through prior to becoming trainees finally becoming the members who would lead Houkago Princess. It's a song that reminds me of how long Karin worked to finally debut in a group, and how both Riko and Yuumi were able to begin and live out their idol journeys with Houkago Princess. Aurora Dreaming is a song that truly represents this generation and the ones that came after it, and it is a song that will always be close to my heart.

I love Aurora Dreaming so much. I am so glad that this was the song that came to represent the new generation of Houkago Princess, because it marked the beginning of a dream come true.

7

Zessei Cleopatra
(July 29th, 2020)

Of all the tracks on this list, the most nostalgic of them all has to be Zessei Cleopatra, and I make it no secret that I absolutely love it. It's a song that holds a familiar sound from the groups original indies era, a time prior to their Princess story, and a song that truly honours the legacy of Houkago Princess and Maika, who would graduate after this singles release.

Now, I am aware that many will prefer Shakunetsu no Mystery Eye over this track, but for me, this is a song that took me back. It's a song that delivered a youthful, fun and passionate performance from the members of the time, and it is a track that hailed back to the energetic sound and style of the groups early days. This is a song that made me cry upon first hearing it because, at the time, HouPri's music had not sounded like this for years. Yes, their sound was truly diverse, but upon hearing Zessei Cleopatra, I couldn't help but feel how how refreshing it was to be brought back in time with this sound. It was familiar and comforting and, even now, it comforts me to hear a sound that takes me back to a time before the Princess era had begun.

Compared to other tracks within the groups Princess-themed line-up, Zessei Cleopatra may not be the most unique, and it may not be the most memorable to others, but for me it's so precious. It's a song that honoured Maika's legacy within Houkago Princess, a legacy that began during the groups first indies period. This is a song that hails back to the groups roots and acknowledges the end of an era, and it is a song I hold so much love and respect for.

Zessei Cleopatra is beautiful, nostalgic and meaningful. It's a song I adore so much, even when time has flown by. I will always love this track over Shakunetsu no Mystery Eye, and that's a fact I am not ashamed of.

6


Princess no Teigi
(July 10th, 2019)

Back when Princess no Teigi was released, there was a part of me that never considered how much I would love this song. In fact, I had once thought so little of it that I would have thought I'd never place it in a list like this. And yet, after 7 years, it has become a precious song within the groups history that I continue to return to time and time again.

Princess no Teigi
is one of two tracks that marked the beginning of a new era. It was part of the first single to not feature Odagiri Nana, the last first generation member and the groups original leader, as well as one of the groups first songs to be released in the Reiwa Era. It's also the first 'original' Princess single to be released, with the song featuring themes of the everyday girl becoming a princess with every small thing she does. It's a song about confidence and creating your own magic, one that paints a picture of positivity as the group heads towards the new era. It's a positive, bright sound that continues to capture the sheer happiness Houkago Princess aim to create with their performances, and I love that this song allowed us to see yet another new side to the group while still following their Princess theme.

This is truly a fun song, one that continues to grow on me the more I listen to it. I never expected to love Princess no Teigi as much as I do now, but I am so glad that I can appreciate this song over and over again. It's so positive and sweet, and I love that it allows the listener to realise they too can be princesses, even if they live an ordinary life. Princess no Teigi is a wonderful track, and I can only hope others can hear how charming of a song it is.

5


Kaguyahime, Tsuki ni Kaeru
(October 10th, 2018)

The first of two b-sides that continue the Kaguya story from Kaguya no Negai wo, Kaguyahime, Tsuki ni Kaeru is a song that affirms the princesses decision to leave, as well as allowing the listener to see that she has no regrets in choosing to depart Earth and return to the moon. Firm and resolute in its message, Kaguyahime, Tsuki ni Kaeru has become one of my favourite tracks over the years thanks to its bittersweet yet hopeful sound.

Aside from how beautiful it sounds, one of the things that I love most about this track is the fact that every member gets a line. It's something I really appreciate, especially when you consider how rare it is to hear Miran and Saori (and Saho!) sing in a track despite their time in the group. So, hearing their voices here for even just one line not only feels sentimental, but like a true send-off for the girls. I think what makes it even more sentimental is the fact that the story of Kaguya is continued here, thus allowing us as the listeners to reflect on the members' feelings as they prepare to return to the world of a regular person.

Of the three Kaguya-related tracks on this single, I personally consider Kaguyahime, Tsuki ni Kaeru to be the best. Though it may not be the leading track, it is the one that truly represents the graduating members of the time as they prepared for their final days as idols. It's a song that sticks out in a positive way, and it is a song that allowed everyone to shine, even if it was for a small moment. It's a gorgeous song, one that feels perfect for a graduation release. I just wish we could see it performed more at events so that fans can hear its brilliance with the current line-up.

4

Himitsu no Tiara to Gelato
(October 12th, 2016)

Whenever this song plays, I feel nothing but endless happiness. With a catchy, memorable sound that hooks you from the beginning, Himitsu no Tiara to Gelato is a vibrant, positive track that delivers endless energy and incredible vocals, courtesy of Maika and Sekine Sasara. It also has great choreography that truly matches the energy and drive of the song, making it a perfect hype-track for fans whenever it's performed.

This is actually the track that makes me think of HouPri's golden era. It's also one of the first songs I will suggest to people if they're getting into the group, as well as the track I consider to be one of their most recognisable. It's a colourful song that is both passionate and distinct in sound and image, as well as incredibly creative in its theme. Based on the film Roman Holiday (1953), this track allowed Houkago Princess to break away from traditional fairy tales and historical figures in a bid to unfold a story that respected its source material while still allowing their lyricist creative freedom to interpret it in their own way.

One of their most iconic tracks to date, Himitsu no Tiara to Gelato is a wonderful song that allows us to step into the shoes of a princess who yearns for freedom. It's a song that delivers abundant happiness as we go on an adventure and paint the world in newfound colours, no matter how many times we hear it. This is a song that continues to gain high praise by Houkago Princess fans young and old, and a song that I will continue to look forward to on a playlist or live. No matter what, Himitsu no Tiara to Gelato is a song that I will want to listen to because it is just that good.

3

Seifuku Cinderella
(August 19th, 2015)

No matter what, Seifuku Cinderella will always hold a special place in my heart. As the first Princess song, this is (in my opinion) the definitive track that represents the HouPri we all know and love today. It is the blueprint that allowed them to grow in both sound and image, while also setting them apart from other idols at the time. This is the start of their princess journey and oh, what a wonderful journey they have taken us on thanks to Seifuku Cinderella.

It makes me happy whenever I hear it. It makes me want to dance and sing along, and it makes me think back to Houkago Princesses history and how they were able to get to this point in their career. It's a song that is happy and bright, determined and hopeful. This sparkling, energetic track is everything I love about HouPri, no matter what generation sings it. It's a wonderful song filled with so many emotions and I am so thankful I could see HouPri make their major debut with this wonderful track.

Almost eleven years on, Seifuku Cinderella continues to make me smile. I am so happy that even now I can continue to love this track even a decade after its release.

2

Seishun Mermaid
(June 29th, 2016)

I still get shivers when I hear the opening notes of Seishun Mermaid, and with every listen I find myself wanting to cry. A passionate yet melancholy song, this track has continued to stand the test of time as one of Houkago Princesses greatest singles released to date.

There is something sentimental about Seishun Mermaid. Perhaps it is because growing up, The Little Mermaid was one of my favourite movies, or maybe it's the love and emotion Maika herself threw into the song, especially when you consider that The Little Mermaid is her favourite fairy tale, too. Or perhaps it is thanks to the beauty of the instrumental that not only echoes the hope of the heroine, but also the tragedy that awaits her. Regardless of what it is, I think that Seishun Mermaid is perhaps one of the greatest songs within Houkago Princesses discography.

This is a song that gets better with every listen. It's a song that continues to grow no matter how many times you hear it and still holds that same passion and desire it did when I first heard it. Even now, 10 years on, Seishun Mermaid is a song that makes me cry. It's a song that makes me smile, and it's a song that makes me yearn for dream I had as a child to become a mermaid.

In the best way imaginable, Seishun Mermaid haunts me. It is one of the greatest instrumentals within Houkago Princesses discography, and one of Maika's greatest achievements as a vocalist. She truly brought this song to life, and I am so thankful that I could fall in love with the story of The Little Mermaid again through Seishun Mermaid. It is beautiful and brilliant, and it is the perfect homage to one of my favourite fairy tales.


Mirror, mirror on the wall, which is the fairest Princess song of them all?

𓆩:*¨༺✧ 1 ✧༻¨*:𓆪
Jasmine ~Kimi no Kokoro ga Shinjiru Mama ni~


(December 20th, 2017)

Since its release as a b-side on Abrakatab Luv! back in 2017, Jasmine ~Kimi no Kokoro ga Shinjiru Mama ni~ quickly became one of—if not my absolute—favourite Princess song released by Houkago Princess. Now, nearly 9 years on, this song has continued to stand the test of time and I can say with absolute conviction that Jasmine ~Kimi no Kokoro ga Shinjiru Mama ni~ is my favourite Princess song of them all.

I love this song. I love how positive and up-beat it is, how romantic and adventurous it feels. I love that this song gave both the background members and Youth a song at the time of its release, and I love that this song became so beloved by the fans and the group that it was re-recorded in 2020 with the main HouPri line-up. I love that Jasmine ~Kimi no Kokoro ga Shinjiru Mama ni~ has become a core song for the current generation, which means it is now performance regularly, and I love that this song brings me nothing but joy and makes me cry because of how pure and bright and delightful it is.

But above all, I love that I can hear Sahochi, Himari and Mayumi sing so vibrantly, three members who were my favourite at the time of the songs release. It is because of this song that I could hear their voices and enjoy their presence even more as a fan, especially when I could not go to their lives so freely.

I know that a big part of why I love this song is because it features Sahochi, Himari and Mayumi, however it's not the only reason. I have so much love and appreciation for Jasmine ~Kimi no Kokoro ga Shonjiru Mama ni~ because of how colourful it is in sound and how energetic and joyful it feels for the members performing it. It's also a song that, regardless of the mood I am in, continues to bring me endless delight and hope whenever I listen it.

When it comes it Houkago Princess, this is the first song I think of when I want to listen to a Princess track. Wherever I go, whatever I am doing, it is the song I want to listen to first whenever I play HouPri's music. It's a song that, without fail, reminds me of how bright and sparkling Houkago Princesses music is and how this very track perfectly reflects the youthful hope and desires of all the members, past and present.

I am so grateful that I could fall in love with Jasmine ~Kimi no Kokoro ga Shinjiru Mama ni~ when it was first released, but I am even more thankful that I have continued to appreciate this majestic, sweet song for as long as it has been around. For me, I truly believe that this will always be an important song, not only because of how brilliant and perfect it is as a Princess track, but because of its importance to me as a fan.

I will always treasure this song for what it gave me. It continues to motivate and push me whenever I hear it, but above all, Jasmine ~Kimi no Kokoro ga Shinjiru Mama ni~ allowed both Team Miracle and Youth to shine. For that, I am endlessly thankful.


Of course not all of their Princess stories could make it onto this list today so, before we go, let's acknowledge and appreciate the Princesses, Pharaoh's and heroines that couldn't make it into the list, for whatever reason.

༻ Acknowledgements ༺

Lychee Red no Unmei
(February 15th, 2017)



Mitsutsuki no Encore
(October 10th, 2018)


Shakunetsu no Mystery Eye
(July 29th, 2020)

Houkago Princess have told us many stories through their songs, and there are still many more tales of shining princesses and daring heroines for them to tell. Of course, their Princess chapter is only a small part of their history as a group, though an important one. Still, with so many songs in their catalogue, HouPri have even more stories to share with you all, regardless of whether they are about a Princess or not.

For today though, those stories will have to wait.

Thank you all once again for taking time to read these posts. Thank you for learning about Houkago Princess and celebrating their 15th anniversary with me, and thank you for putting up with my words. I truly appreciate it, and I look forward to meeting you all in my next post.

Until the next one, please take care and stay sparkling, everyone.

Much Love,
Kelly~

No comments:

Post a Comment